Monday 15 December 2014

Soma Black Science Trinidad 70%

The bean-to-bar scene has pretty much spread like wildfire in the US and Canada. Soma are small batch craft chocolate makers and chocolatiers, based in Toronto. Their Black Science Trinidadian chocolate was made from Trinitario cacao from Sangre Grande in Trinidad, which was to gift "notes of brownie and roasted grains", organic cane sugar and cocoa butter

I was stunned at how smooth the texture was, including in the mouth. The aroma on the surface was grain and metallic- not so tempting, but deeper in was strong-brewed tea leaves, apple, dried tropical fruits (papaya, pineapple)

The taste was really great. It had a fruity acidity amongst the tea leaves, with cacao and bitterness at the back of the tongue. I presume the beans had a reasonably high roast with a toasty flavour like that. Nearing to the end, it was a really intense brownie/hot chocolate taste (not sugar-sweet). I think it's the fruitiness that really finishes the chocolate for you; it leaves you in admiration for craft chocolate. It has a taste of Christmad cake (packed with dried fruit, molasses and spiced)

This is real excellent chocolate, with special notes of blackberry 

1 comment:

  1. The smoothness of Soma's chocolate is always surprising, isn't it? Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks so. I need to try this bar, I think I missed it in my last order... :-)

    ReplyDelete